In order to adopt in Virginia, state law requires that you have an approved adoptive home study. This is a time for the agency to get to know you and for you to find out more about adoption. During the process, we will check:
- References that you provide
- Medical and financial information
- Your criminal record, if any
- Your record, if any, with Child Protective Services
- Your driving record with the Department of Motor Vehicles
There are several visits to our office as well as home visits during this process. The average amount of time for a home study is three months, but this can vary depending upon individual circumstances.
There is no home study fee for those seeking to adopt an older child or teen from foster care. For information about our home study fee for infant adoption, please contact us or request information.