As one of Virginia’s oldest adoption agencies, we operate by the fundamental belief that every child deserves a home. This has been our cardinal principle since 1900.
To date, we have had the honor of serving nearly 17,000 Virginia children, families, and youth.
Just over the past five years, 427 children found their forever home through our services. This is how many lives we helped change from 2021 to 2022 alone:
- 48 foster children found their forever families
- 89 foster children matched with adoptive families
- 537 children and parents received our post adoption program support services
- 24 youth obtained safe, quality housing through our My Path Forward Independent Living Program
- 68 legislators learned about the Virginia Foster Care System and what would make it better
- 149 adult adoptees inquired about finding their birth parents
None of this would have been possible without our generous supporters. More than 75% of our funding comes from generous donors. We have continued to thrive year after year because our supporters believe that love makes all the difference in the life of a child and pledge to help at-risk children find what we all need, a place to call home.
A strong family unit is crucial for a child’s development. A family offers support, security, and unconditional love. All of these are colossal factors when it comes to a child reaching their full potential.
This December as you think of year-end giving, please consider supporting kids in foster care by giving the greatest gift of all, the gift of love. We can all agree that the love of family is unmatched.
During this holiday season, we are kindly asking for donations to our Red Stocking Campaign. By donating to this campaign, you inspire possibility. Fuel hope. And ensure a soft landing.
Read below to learn more about this campaign.
2023 Red Stocking Campaign
The Red Stocking Campaign is a historical campaign sponsored by Children’s Home Societies nationwide that raises money to help find safe and loving homes for children of all ages.
This campaign started in 1909 and is a way for the community to be a part of the wondrous work Children’s Home Societies provide.
CHSVA has been making a difference in the lives of Virginia’s at-risk children, families, and youth for almost 125 years!
It is our mission to see that every youth and child in Virginia has a strong permanent family and lifelong relationships that will allow them to thrive. We want every child to have the parachute that allows them to dream big, dare to soar, and land softly when things don’t go quite right.
By creating forever families we help children who might otherwise be alone—with very little support—have the safety net they need to pursue their dreams. They know that if they fail their family’s net will catch them. Having that support gives them the freedom to reach new heights.
What happens when children or youth don’t have a family to share the holiday season?
My Path Forward
We work with youth who have aged out of foster care and make sure that they have the support they need to thrive too. Our My Path Forward Program gives youth the confidence to try new things, even if some of those don’t work out the first time. But when those things don’t work out the first time, they have a family parachute to brace their fall.
My Path Forward provides housing and wrap-around services for aged-out Virginia foster youth. Our experienced staff tailors plans for each youth to meet their unique needs—and to develop their talents—to ensure they are getting ahead in life and achieving the independence they seek.
When children age out of foster care, they face devastating realities.
- 1 in 4 will go to jail within two years
- 1 in 5 will be homeless within two years
- Fewer than 1 in 6 will graduate from high school
- As a whole, they will face higher rates of unemployment, substance abuse, teen pregnancy, and domestic violence.
My Path Forward invests in youth aging out of foster care and changes the trajectory of their lives. Since this program was founded in 2017, we have served nearly 200 youth.
We’ve said it once, and we will say it again. We greatly appreciate the support of all our donors. We recently sat down with one donor, in particular, to hear why CHSVA means so much to her. Here is what she had to say.
- How long have you supported CHSVA?
- Why do you support CHSVA?
I support CHSVA because the issue of adoption and foster care is incredibly complicated and CHSVA navigates these complexities by understanding the children involved. I love the work that CHSVA does, especially their focus on being a support to children and families long after the adoption process is over.
- What is your favorite thing about what CHSVA does?
The My Path Forward program is especially close to my heart. Adjusting to adult life is a challenge for even the most equipped of us. I am grateful to CHSVA for considering the needs of aged-out foster kids and ensuring that they can enter adulthood on stable ground.
- Why should others support CHSVA?
CHSVA is an incredible organization whose holistic approach is meaningfully impacting the lives of foster children, adopted children, and their families. Not only do they directly serve these families, but they also advocate for better policies and support in the halls of the General Assembly. CHSVA does it all and they deserve our support.
We cannot thank you enough for these kind words. We are overwhelmed with gratitude for your generous contributions to our cause over the last seven years. Your selfless donations have not only fueled our mission but have also ignited a spark of hope for the children, youth, and families we serve. And hope motivates us all to keep going, even when things seem impossible. We are deeply appreciative of your commitment to making your community and Virginia a better place. We look forward to continuing this journey with you.
Your Gift at Work
When you donate to us, every dollar makes a difference in the life of a child. Here are some of the ways we put your gift to work.
- $50: covers facilitating a meeting with a child in foster care and a prospective adoptive family
- $100: pays for a Post Adoption Club activity that allows adoptive children to bond with other children like them
- $250: provides trauma-informed parenting skills trainings for prospective and adoptive parents
- $500: allows a youth in our My Path Forward program to have Internet service so they can fulfill their educational objectives
- $1,000: furnishes a youth’s apartment in our My Path Forward program
- $1,500: gives one year of parent coaching support for an adoptive child and their family
- $5,000: funds one year’s worth of rent for a youth in our My Path Forward program
Children’s Home Society of Virginia | Support Kids in Foster Care
Please support our mission and kids in foster care. Be a part of the parachute that has allowed thousands of children and youth to reach their dreams for almost 125 years and will allow thousands more to reach theirs in the years to come.
You can make a one-time donation by clicking the button below. You can also choose to make recurring donations.
As always, we thank you for inspiring possibility. Fueling hope. And ensuring a soft landing.